Aug 18, 2009

Overcoming a dilemma

Let me just say that the Lord is good!

The past two days have been extremely stressful. As some of you may know, I will complete my internship at he VA (Veteran Affairs) outpatient clinic this school year. In ordered to qualify, I had to complete a physical. Well, on July 31st, I completed all but the lab work portion of the physical. I had to leave in order to arrive at my part-time job on time. (Looking back, I should of stayed and told JC Penneys that I was going to be late. A career is more important than a job). I had every intention of completing the lab work at a later date, but never got around to it. I thought it was just a technicality, since the doctor who performed my health assessment told me that he is recommending me for employment.

Fast forward to Monday, August 17th. I arrive at the new hire orientation and they tell me that my name is not on the list. At first, I thought it was a simple, fixable error. I was sent to the HR dept and was told that I could not complete orientation because they had not received the results of my physical. I was deflated. They told me that they would have a rep contact me the next morning. Meanwhile, I went over to the hospital and had my labwork done.

At home that evening, I decided to send that rep an email explaining my situation. Here is an excerpt,

I am due to start my work with the VA on Monday. I will not be able to do so if I do not complete the employee orientation. If I cannot start this Monday, I will be behind on the hours required for the social work program at NSU, lose my stipend, or even lose the privilege to be a social work trainee at the VA. I am so grateful for this opportunity and I do not want to lose it. I fully understand the magnitude of my error and I am asking if I can still make-up and/or complete the employee orientation this week.

Thank God, there are wonderful people out there who is willing to work with you and on your behalf! The rep spoke with her supervisors and they are allowing me to start work on Monday on condition that I complete the orientation the following week. I am so grateful because I could have lost the whole opportunity. Here is what this situation has taught me...

  • The Lord is faithful and merciful!
  • Nothing in a formal process is a technicality, especially with the federal government
  • Know your priorities

Best wishes


No comments:

Post a Comment